Monday, May 19, 2008

Garden Update

This morning I planted some ginger that we had that was sprouting! We also have beets that are sprouting, but Mom isn't convinced that we should plant them. I tried to tell her that we should plant them, and she said that we would only get beet greens, and I said that I didn't mind not having to eat the beets.
One of our garden beds I have dubbed the 'roly-poly garden' because there are a bunch of roly-polys that are eating the small plants. So this morning I put cayenne pepper in it, hoping that that would make them go away or explode them or something. Mom told me that she saw one that was kind of hesitant to walk in the cayenne pepper.
We used to have a problem with ants in one of the other beds, and I looked up natural ways to kill ants, that wouldn't hurt the soil or plants, and there were a bunch of funny ways. Cayenne pepper was one, but we tried the cornmeal one that was supposed to make the ants "swell up and go to the big ant hill in the sky." I think it worked, because there aren't ants now.
We also have these squirrels that keep on eating the apples. Ginger (our dog) always tries to drive them away, but she doesn't always realize they're there, and the squirrels fight over apples. It's really funny to watch them. Ginger sometimes 'stalks' them and it's really funny too.
We have continued to be busy with senior stuff for Amy, and getting ready for her graduation. On Tuesday we went to a senior banquet for the seniors from our homeschool group, and on Thursday we went to one with our church. On Saturday we went to a friend's graduation, and this Friday is Amy's graduation. In just four days!!
My uncle and aunt and cousin will be coming for Amy's graduation, and they'll be staying with us. All of us four girls plan on sleeping in a room together, so that will be fun.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

awwww, poor roly-polies:(. but i understand, we have a garden too! :)